This recipe was adapted from the Green Dragon Pad Thai recipe in the wonderful Lipsmackin' Vegetarian Backpackin' cookbook by Christine and Tim Conners.
This recipe serves enough for our family of 5, so would probably serve 4 adults.
- 4 teaspoons dried garlic, flakes or bits
- 3 tablespoons date sugar
- 3/4 cup roasted peanuts, chopped (unsalted)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 4 teaspoons dried cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded dried cocounut
- 4 tablespoons dried chives or green onion
- 1 cup dried vegetable flakes
- 2 limes
- 1 12 oz package of extra-firm silken tofu (the kind that does not need to be refrigerated)
- 1 16 oz package of Thai rice noodles (the flat ones)
Preparation At Home
Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a ZipLoc bag.
Preparation on the Trail
Roll the limes on a hard surface, cut them in half, and squeeze the juice into the ZipLoc bag with the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
Bring one large pot of water to boil (at least 7 cups).
Pour 1 cup of the boiling water into the ZipLoc bag and knead until an even consistency.
Add the noodles to the remaining water in the pot and cook for approximately 2 minutes, until almost done but still a little chewy (don't overcook!). Drain the noodles. Add the reconstituted sauce mix and diced tofu to the drained noodles, mix well, then cover and let stand for a few minutes.